Pages

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Reposting Memories, Installment #2

I originally posted this in December, but since I just re-posted Installment 1, I thought I'd pull this one out again for the flow of the story.

My memories of school are not fun memories....though I seemed to like being at school more than being at home. I had a few friends, though I was always an oddball...I dressed differently, and had a lot different expectations of life than did the other kids with whom I went to school.

I loved to read, and being at school meant that I got to read a LOT. When I was at home, I had to do chores. When I was at school, I got to read! I also got to do some other fun stuff....softball, roller skating, volleyball, swinging....

BUT, because we were SO different, we got made fun of, a LOT. I never understood how all these people could call themselves good Christians, and treat our whole family so terribly. My mother never had any friends in that church. Whenever she pointed out something that seemed unfair (the pastors' daughters wearing the forbidden makeup, eg.), she was ostracized even more. My brothers got into lots of fights, and I got in trouble at school for defending them.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

It was interesting reading your memories. Remembering is so good...the good and the bad. I have had to learn that just because I hated something growing up does not necessarily mean that my children will hate it. School was difficult for me..we moved a lot..Army brat. My children LOVE school and cannot wait to go. Hope you have/had a great weekend!

Sallie said...

Hi, I'm Sallie.. Gunny's wife.

I have enjoyed reading your memories posts. My mom left our church when I was a young child because someone made fun of her for wearing pants. My dad kept us going but mom always refused to go back until I was a grown woman. People inside church buildings (or under the guise of being the church) don't always say things the best way. Thankfully God is a forgiving God and in Him we find our salvation.

God bless,
Sallie