Pages

Saturday, May 3, 2008

Is it worth it?

I used to think I understood a little about home decorating. I even thought I wanted to be an interior designer. I don't think that I did too shabby with what we have.

Then I started watching those shows. You know the ones...where ordinary people beg for the assistance of the "professionals" to get their houses up to par in this housing market. Or they just want their family room or bedroom to look "finished" and they can't figure out what to do with it.

I started getting ideas. I started to feel discontent with the home and material goods that God has generously given to us.

I LOVE to watch HGTV. I drool over home makeovers. I get jealous of all those people who are being helped with their decorating nightmares.

Yes, I know, I shouldn't take all those TV shows to heart... but I do. I have caught myself recently rethinking why we are living in military housing instead of buying a house. I dream of being able to fix up or tear out when I so desire.

In a word, I am discontent.

Though I KNOW this is wrong, I wallow in it. I enter the contests to win the houses (though I have yet to figure out how we'd pay the property taxes or homeowner's insurance...).

So, tonight, I am again asking God for help to kick this new little addiction of mine. HGTV will have to wait. I have other, much more important things to do...like taking care of the family He has given me, and being the wife He wants me to be to the wonderful husband He gave me, and learning to know Him more...

"Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content:" Phil. 4:11


6 comments:

Gunnz said...

HGTV? One of my idols, too. I love to watch decorating shows...uh...I mean...uh... home improvement shows.

I've been longing for the day that I can buy my own house and do with it what I want. You know, I've been living in base housing 43 years. I REALLY want my own home.

But, before I do that...I want to pay more attention to the riches he HAS bestowed on me...Like a hot redhead (hehehehe), 4 cool kids, great brothers and sisters in Christ, and the spiritual gifts he has given me to do His work.

Oh, and I want to do that work first. You're right. The house can wait. Thanks for the common sense post and the spiritual "re-focusing" of my heart on my real treasure.

MATTHEW 6:19-21

"Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."


VRS,
Mike

Anonymous said...

Laura -- I miss satellite tv and HGTV. It's on an even footing with FOX news in my book... I watched both as often as the other when we had it.

We are looking (and have been since October) at a 1910 Victorian in NC. It needs work but it screams my name everytime I see a pic of it. Is it in God's plans for us? I don't know but I do know if it isn't I'll be ok with that. It's just a house. God has one for us to either rent or buy and His plans are greater than my own.

I'm right there with ya on kicking the habit and being content!

Have a blessed Sunday!!

Sallie

Stacey said...

I had the HGTV bug too..and much of it resulted in my trying to do better with the home I had. But I hear what you're saying. I sooo wanted to win the Texas Dream House. It was the bomb! xoxo

Keri said...

Oh sheesh! We have so much in common! I have an unhealthy obsession with all things HGTV too. I've been where you're at- often. I have to remind myself that we already have everything we need and more. I have no reason to be discontented living in base housing. But it's hard not to fall into the trap of "keeping up with the Jones'". All of my girlfriends back home are homeowners now, and I feel bad sometimes that that hasn't been in the cards for us yet.

God's timing is perfect though. I believe He's teaching me many lessons in humility during this phase of my life. Thank you for reminding me to be appreciative of that!

L Harris said...

I can't say that I have your HGTV obsession as we don't get that channel, but I am with you on the discontentment. We live in a 1930s Anglican church that we are renovating to a residence. Two and soon to be three children sleep with my dh and I in the sanctuary which also rooms our dining room, living room, library and office! Our entrance is studs and insulation but will eventually be our kitchen. Our bathroom has no door and is missing a wall. All of our windows are single pane. When it rans and in the spring we have water pooling in the basement and the sump pump runs almost constantly at times so our floors down there are built up a few inches. The oldest two children and the storage and play areas as well as the kitchen and bathroom are down there. Do I like my house? Of course. Am I content? I struggle. But on one income and the way things are with our economy both in the US and here in Canada there is no way we can make the changes needed, let alone our desires, without it taking some time. We have to be happy with the home God has given us, enjoy our children and make this house a home the best way that we can.

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

Sweetie, those shows are DESIGNED to make you feel that discontent!! I know - I do the SAME THING watching those shows. I struggle with contentment as well; I'm praying for God to settle your heart and open your eyes anew to all the blessings in your life.