Pages

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Job Adjustments

I was reminded by Dawn of Call Me Grandma Dawn that job changes are still times of adjustment, even when we are happy with the change and have looked forward to it...

I have done the transition from working full-time outside of the home to being at home full-time, working part-time (for money) and attempting to keep up with everything else that comes with being a mom and responsible adult. I have done this NUMEROUS times. The last time was right after we moved to Montana, and I was pregnant with our now-4-year-old. As a matter of fact, every time I (before this time) that I have been able to be home, I had an infant, or was pregnant. Every time it has been a huge adjustment for me.

This time is no different. We're in a different state, a new house, with new responsibilities and new stresses. No, I am NOT pregnant. I am attempting to learn a new profession while staying home with my 4-year-old and keeping up with appointments, extra-curricular activities, and housework.

I battle with myself and the little voices in my head all day long. I spend WAY too much time on the computer, even when I am NOT working. I really, exceedingly dislike housework. The laundry piles up and threatens to erupt (like that mountain in Chile this week...). The ants come marching into my kitchen...because the dishes are piled in the sink and counter and stove.... The vacuum cleaner quit working on me. The kids' toys are strewn all over the house. Yet, I avoid the necessary things of keeping up with my house....I blog. I browse. I read. Anything to NOT do what I really, really need to do.

So, where am I to obtain motivation? I know that this is part of the transition time from working outside of my home to being home. I KNOW this. It doesn't help. I feel like I am just slogging through this time until at some time in my murky future I actually start enjoying being here.

Don't get me wrong. I am HAPPY to be home. I LOVE that I get to spend this time with my children. I am VERY GRATEFUL that God provided this opportunity to me. I expected this...after all, this is not my first time to deal with the blahs that come with my recent job change.

So, anyone have any fresh motivation for me? Know where I can find some? Or, perhaps have a teenager you'd like to loan me to get my house back under control?

2 comments:

Samantha said...

We are also in a transition period. I can understand about the whole "staying focused" aspect for housework,etc. My vice is the TV. And with no kids, I get really uptight about the chores and turn into a fuming robot, no fun until chores are done! Hopefully that will loosen up when our family grows.
Love your blog!

Wendy said...

Sorry, Laura, but I can't loan you my teenager, I'm using her to get my house under control this summer. lol

Seriously, I hear ya. It took what felt like ages to get my head around the fact that I wasn't working outside the home, and that home IS my job. The lack of any real accountability (no boss threatening to write me up) left me with little to no motivation. The only thing I can say is that time smoothes it out and it gets better. Give it some prayer, too.

Sorry, wish I had something better for you.

((hugs))