Pages

Monday, May 12, 2008

Seasonal Affective Disorder

I have rediscovered why I intensely dislike living in the Southeast during the winter and spring.

According to Wikipedia:
Seasonal affective disorder (SAD), also known as winter depression, is a mood
disorder
whose sufferers experience normal mental health throughout most of
the year, but experience depressive symptoms in the winter. As stated by the U.S.
National Library of Medicine:

"Some people experience a serious mood change when the seasons change. They
may sleep too much, have little energy, and crave sweets and starchy foods. They
may also feel depressed. Though symptoms can be severe, they usually clear
up."[1]

I have known for quite a while that I was affected by this...though never officially diagnosed...but living in Montan, I really was not affected quite as much. Now that we are back in the Southeast, however, it is raising its ugly head again. Overcast and rainy days seem to affect me the most.

Then, I add in the fact that I am busier than I like, and my house is falling apart, and I am tired...all of this is a recipe for disaster. I don't ever want to go back to where I was before.

Then, just to help me feel a bit LESS loved, my wonderful bloggy friends get busy and forget about me.

Hopefully tomorrow will be sunny....

1 comment:

imbeingheldhostage said...

Actually, you may be surprised to know that your bloggy friends have been suffering the same thing-- you weren't forgotten, some of us were just busy feeling sorry for ourselves. We just had three days of sunshine in a row and I'm feeling like a new person, you?