Pages

Sunday, May 24, 2015

MORE.

The current preaching series at Grace Chapel is entitled "More: Life, Love, Spirit".  It has been a refreshing and much-needed deeper look at walking a more fulfilled and Christ-filled life.  I have really enjoyed it.

This morning was no different.  Our campus pastor Dave Ripper spoke today, and while I did not get everything written down, I DID get the part that really impacted me.

Dave's main point was: "To experience More, LOVE more, and FEAR less."

He talked a bit about Loving more, but the FEAR was what jumped out at me.

His points:
To FEAR less:
1) REALLY trust God.  (2 Timothy 1:7, and Hebrews 13:6)
2) Receive the love of God.  (1 John 4:7-9)

Interesting to note....MY verse in recent years has been 2 Timothy 1:7, and Jason's life-verse is Hebrews 13:6.

FEAR.  Life is so much MORE without FEAR.
I know so many verses about fear.
"Perfect LOVE casts out FEAR."
My favorite:  "for God did not give us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind;" (Young Living Translation).  
Jason's life-verse: "So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?"

I used to think that I NEEDED to "think about" things for it all to go well.  If I wasn't constantly "thinking about" what **MIGHT** go wrong, or what others *might* be thinking about me, or how to prevent what *might* happen to my children, I was not being conscientious in my parenting, wife-ing, person-ing.  

(yes, I know I just made up those words.  You're welcome.  Please feel free to use them.)   

The very sad thing was that my "thinking about" whatever I was fearing might happen only created MORE fear.  In fact, I was not "thinking about" things, but was WORRYING myself sick.  

I remember distinctly the day that I gave myself permission to stop worrying about everything.  I remember realizing that my worrying wouldn't change whether or not Jason had a wreck on his motorcycle, or whether my kids were hurt, or bullied, or victimized, or whether people would like me or not.  It was a HUGE weight off to realize that I could just STOP, and the world was not going to end.  

I realize this sounds simplistic.  
I am guessing that some of you already have this down pat.  
I am guessing that there are others who still feel as if the world will stop of they jump off of their particular worry-wheel.  

Let me reassure you.  
The world did NOT stop.  
As a matter of fact, I doubt that many others recognized the change.  
I know that Jason did.  In fact, he was HAPPY for me.  

Let me also make clear that I HAVE NOT arrived.  
I am still fearful.  
Some days I slip back into my old patterns of worry.  

The difference now is that I KNOW I can just stop the worry.  
I KNOW that there is SO MUCH MORE.  
I KNOW that if I can stop the FEAR, there is SO MUCH more room in my life for LOVE.  
Because Perfect LOVE casts out FEAR.  

You can now go see the sermon for yourself....
EDITED to add the link for the sermon.

No comments: