Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Thursday Thirteen #4

THIRTEEN PLACE I HAVE LIVED
This is going to be a little longer than the "normal" 13...because I've lived more than 13 places.


  1. Due West, South Carolina…I lived there for 18 years…my parents still live there
  2. Abbeville, South Carolina…okay, so we moved away from one farm for 5 years, and lived on a dairy farm that we sold, and then moved back to the old address (above)…(age 10-15).
  3. Due West…again….
  4. Columbia, South Carolina…I went to college in Columbia (no, not THE University), met my husband, and lived IN Columbia for a few more years.
  5. Gaston, SC…our first home after we got married…a little trailer that didn’t have heat or hot water our first morning there!
  6. Columbia, SC…apartment right off of St. Andrews Road…this is where we lived when #1 child was born
  7. Due West, SC…little cottage with more charm than comfort
  8. Columbia, SC….little shack right by the dump…literally...and no heat…that was a miserable winter.
  9. Columbia, SC….duplex over near Richland Memorial Hospital…#2 was born while living here
  10. Columbia, SC….trailer park outside of town…#3 was born during this time
  11. Gilbert, South Carolina….we built a cute little house, and lived there for 3 years…#4 born while living here, hubby was a truck driver for a while, and a Juvenile Corrections Officer during that time, too.
  12. Edgefield, South Carolina….stayed with my brother for 6 months…you ought to go check out that little town…it is so cute, and HISTORICAL…oh, my….go see http://www.edgefieldsc.net/ One claim to fame…it is the home of Strom Thurmond.
  13. Portland, Texas….our first duty station with the Navy…I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Texas…want to go back, but hubby says no…#5 born at home in this place…we were in 2 different apartments here, because after #5 was born, we didn’t have enough space for 7 people in a 3 bedroom apartment.
  14. Helena, Montana…Jonathan Road…we were there for 6 months, and then the land-lady decided for some reason that she wanted us out of there, because she tried to raise the rent from $900/month to $1100 per month…no FREAKING way…never mind the face that the electric bill was astronomical…ELECTRIC baseboard heaters in a house with single-pane glass windows….VERY inefficient…#6 was born when we lived here
  15. Helena, Montana, Byron Road…this house we were in for 2 years, 8 months…lots of fun, but rather crowded…8 people in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath double-wide trailer pre-fabricated home. Cozy! This is also the land-lord that accused my children of leaving the doors opened, because we all know that is the ONLY way mice can get into a house!
  16. Virginia Beach, Virginia…yeah, we’ve been here for umm….a few months…

Okay, so that was a few more than 13…didn’t realize how many times we’d moved…and we’ve been married for just over 15 years….

16 comments:

Sparky Duck said...

dang, you have been all over the place, after you got out of SC

suchsimplepleasures said...

wow!! you've moved a lot!!! i have never moved out of michigan, much to my dismay.
have a wonderful day!!
xo

Unknown said...

Lots of SC there but I know we moved a lot when I was little, and even Allen and I have moved far too much.

Melli said...

Sadly... my list would be about this long... but all of mine would revolve around ONE state... with the exception of a brief stint in Minnesota! You certainly have been around!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm more impressed that you have 6 children and 1 hubby. Kudos to you and your family!

Gandalf & Grayson's Mom

Di said...

AND you have six kids???? AND you are still sane??? OMG...I thought I had moved a lot in 17 years of marriage. And re: sanity, I know of what I speak. I have literally had two breakdowns following major life-changing moves.

We are now building a house that I will live in for the rest of my life. If my husband needs to go elsewhere, he's going alone!

Baba said...

Hi Laura, You have been a busy mom with all of your moves and with your six kids....I have a nephew who lives near you in Chesapeake,Va. with his wife and two kids..He used to be in the Navy.Thanks for your visit to my place today...

Lori said...

Wow...I havent lived many places in my life at all. My son lives in Virginia Beach now though. I hear its beautiful:) Happy TT and thanks for stopping by.

Michelle B said...

Due West...what an interesting name! Happy TT:)

Momisodes said...

Wow! Okay, I've finally found someone more of a nomad than me :) Moving around is nice and adventurous, but I'm ready to stop. We're moving in 2 weeks. This will be my 13th address in 8 yrs :(

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a lot of packing and unpacking girl! Many memories though. Blessings, Cricket

Andrea said...

Yikes that's a lot of places! But we all know that home is where your heart is (your lovely family) no matter where you sleep. You had #5 at home? On purpose?
Andrea

P.S. I just started visiting you here but tagged you at my site bcuz I like your blog!

Wendy said...

That's funny, I live in SC now but I did most of my moving before I got here. Good list. :)

Anonymous said...

Ive been to Columbia SC. Nice place.

Joy Renee said...

and i thot we had moved a lot. but i counted only 16 times in 29 years of marriage. then there was the two times before i was eighteen but the first of those was when i was 6 weeks old.

nice tt idea.

thanx for visiting my room makeover pics

Helena said...

You have packed and unpacked too many times.Whew! I see you in a few years doing this list and you will have 13 kids by then,lol. I love your picture of you all! A nice family! Have a great day!