Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Memories (installment 7)

In honor of my favorite month…I wanted to share how I met my wonderful husband.

I was in my Junior year in college, and it was the weekend that high school students came to visit the school. There was a skit being put on for their entertainment in the chapel. I was coming into the chapel with a friend, and this kid snagged us, and asked if we could help him out, by coming into the chapel in front of him. THAT kid was Jason. He was a Junior in HIGH SCHOOL that year.

Fast forward…two years later, I was a second-year senior, and living off campus. There was this new guy there…somehow familiar looking, and talking to me about this girl that he was interested in dating. We spent a lot of time together, just talking and hanging out.

I was still sort of dating a guy I had been dating for about a year…he was anxious to get married. I was NOT convinced. I needed space to think…about how I could break up with him…convince him that it was OVER. He showed up at my work on Friday night, with roses. I was not happy to see him. I spent a little bit of time with him, trying to make sure he understand that I really meant it…then I ran away. I went to the dorms to spend the night with my friend, who decided that we needed to get out…

We called Jason and one of his friends, and we ran away to IHOP…where we drank copious amounts of coffee, and talked until late into the night. That was October 13th. We had our first “official” date on the 17th, and were married exactly a year later. (Oh, and those friends who went out with us to IHOP? They’re married now, too…to each other!)

Birthdays have never been a huge deal for me. My parents never really made anything of them…I remember one birthday party. We had family parties, but only ever had one party that I was able to invite any friends to attend. Even that was a little bit of a disappointment.

Since we’ve been married, we have not celebrated Valentine’s Day much…but, we also don’t really make a huge deal out of my birthday. We DO usually go out to dinner…and I guess this year, my birthday presents will be delivered on Monday…a new washer and dryer, and a desk that we will have to assemble…happy birthday/Valentines’ Day to me!

2 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

Hi!! Just wanted to drop by and send along my thanks for you coming over and leaving the wonderful birthday wishes for me!!

Hope your Sunday will be a peaceful and pleasant day.

Thanks again.

Unknown said...

Those are great gifts, but I know I always want something a little special and personal on those special days...I don't always get it, though! :-)