Pages

Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day Leftovers

I have a VERY hard time every year with Mother's Day.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE being a mother. I love my own mother. I love my mother-in-law.

For a lot of years I had a very poor relationship with my mother. I have posted about it before. It HAS gotten better, but I don't have any sticky-sweet stories to tell about our relationship. Very little of it was sweet and a lot of it was sticky...

So, every year in the aftermath of any major or minor holiday, I get a bit depressed. I grieve the relationship I have never had with my mother. I miss the mother-daughter times we've never enjoyed.

I have a different relationship with my children, especially with my daughters. I know that things may change as more of them become teenagers. But for now, I have a close relationship with them. I hope to maintain that. I hope the pain of my relationship with my mother helps my daughters and I build and maintain a better relationship...

2 comments:

Samantha said...

Hello again! It is so nice to read one blog that isn't dishing out the same old blah about Mother's Day. I'm okay with my Mom, but get really depressed over not being a Mom myself..
Hang in there!

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

Thinking of you and sending you hugs....I understand how you feel. I have a great relationship with my mom now, but it wasn't that way when I was growing up. I'm making every effort to have a better relationship with my daughter than my mom and I had when I was Daughter's age. I think I'm doing a pretty good job.